A woman who was the driving force for the construction of Santa Barbara’s century-old main library is receiving statewide honors.
Frances Burns Linn was the Santa Barbara Public Library’s Head Librarian 1906 to 1943. She realized the city needed a new library, and got a grant from the Carnegie Foundation to help make it possible.
The building at Anacapa and Anapamu Streets in downtown Santa Barbara opened in 1917. It was badly damaged by a 1925 earthquake, but was repaired and is still the main library today.
Burns also helped set up a county library system, the first of its kind in the state.
Her work and legacy is being honored this fall by her induction into the California Library Hall of Fame.