On Wednesday, Lois Lerner, the IRS official overseeing the tax-exempt organizations office, refused to testify during a hearing on Capitol Hill, and was attacked by some Republicans on the House committee. Her brief appearance was the beginning of a five-hour session marked by angry outbursts and allegations of political motives.
On Thursday, President Obama is expected to explain how the fight against al-Qaida has changed, and how the U.S. will adapt its counter-terrorism policies to the evolving threat. The president will speak at the National Defense University.
One of the provisions removed from the immigration overhaul bill would have allowed U.S. citizens to sponsor same-sex partners in the green card process. But senators removed that item in order to get conservative support.
The Chicago school board on Wednesday voted to close dozens of schools, despite community protests that the closings disproportionately affect minority students. The Chicago Teachers Union and community activists plan to show their disapproval by campaigning against elected officials who disagreed with them.
College students could end up paying a higher interest rate on their government subsidized loans unless Congress steps in. In a replay of last year's battle, Republicans, Democrats and the Obama administration all have competing proposals. A vote is scheduled in the House of Representatives Thursday. But with no consensus in sight, it's not clear if lawmakers can keep interest rates from doubling on July 1.
- Obama Group's Climate Push Puts President Under Scrutiny |
- Lois Lerner's Brief And Awful Day On Capitol Hill |
- Think Obama's In Trouble? That Depends On Your Party |
- Scandal Politics: The Downstream Effect |
- It's ScuttleButton Time! |
- London Attack Deemed Likely Terrorist Incident |
- Fears Of Killing Immigration Bill Doomed Same-Sex Amendment |
- IRS Witness Turns Down Questions At Congressional Hearing |
- Anthony Weiner Tries To Put Indiscretions Behind Him |
- Oregon's Cash-Strapped Counties Reject Public Safety Levies |