Aloe Blacc sang two of the past year's most ubiquitous singles. So why haven't you heard of him?
The concerts, songs and musical moments that stopped All Songs Considered host Bob Boilen in his tracks this week, including an a concert by St. Vincent so good he saw it twice.
Hear an interview with the Puerto Rican singer and musician known as Visitante, plus new material from rapper Ana Tijoux, La Santa Cecilia and more.
"My microphone stand was a broom handle," says singer Guy Garvey of his band's early days. The UK alt-rockers have been at it a quarter century, driven by what he calls a kind of foolhardy enthusiasm.
On the 300th anniversary of his birth, hear how music by Johann Sebastian's son Carl Philipp Emanuel bridged the gap between the old-fashioned Baroque and newfangled music by Haydn and Mozart.
- The Austin 100: A SXSW 2014 Mix |
- Gazelle Amber Valentine: 'Gender Is Not A Genre' |
- The Soul Of The World's Most Expensive Violin |
- The Legend Of Linda Perhacs, 'A Most Unlikely Rock Star' |
- Strange But True: Music Doesn't Make Some People Happy |
- Possessed By Joy: A North American Drummer In Cuba |
- Robert Ashley, Opera's Misunderstood Innovator, Dies At 83 |
- In Rio, A Universe Of Samba |
- Warren Wolf And Wolfpack: Live At Berklee |
- Regina Carter's Jazz Genealogy |