Arts & Life
"The more carny it got, the better I liked it," King says of his new thriller, Joyland. King talks with Fresh Air's Terry Gross about his career writing horror, and about what scares him now.
The HBO miniseries starring Frances McDormand is based on a collection of stories about residents in a small town in Maine. It's about family, friends and the tenuous relationships that make up life.
Dolores Umbridge, enemy of the boy wizard, gets profiled in a new story from Rowling on Halloween. Also: Goodnight Moon goes bilingual, and a campaign for diverse books turns to crowd-funding.
Romance guru Bobbi Dumas once worked at an international school — and she says the colorful world of the kids' Halloween costumes inspired her to think about diversity in her favorite literature.
Kenneth Turan reviews Nightcrawler, a thriller set in the "nocturnal underbelly" of Los Angeles. Jake Gyllenhaal plays a young man who discovers the world of L.A. crime journalism.
- In An Online, On-Demand Age, Reruns Are Getting Redefined |
- The Colorful, Blossoming D.C. Arts Scene In The 1950s, '60s |
- 'The Book Of Strange New Things' Treads Familiar Territory |
- 'Nightcrawler' Jake Gyllenhaal: We're All Complicit In 'If It Bleeds, It Leads' |
- Remembering All-Night Fright Fests And Halloween Horrorthons |
- A Well-Designed Parking Sign Can Make Life Much Easier |
- Funny, Dirty, Sad: The 'Holy Trinity' For 'Transparent' Creator Jill Soloway |
- Can Shows Like 'The McCarthys' Replace CBS' 'Thursday Night Football'? |
- In 'Goodbye To Language,' Jean-Luc Godard Seeks New Ways To Make Pictures |
- 'The Great Invisible' Views An Environmental Catastrophe From Many Sides |